Close

Sighthound completely failing to identify people suddenly

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Gnosis.Cat

Sighthound completely failing to identify people suddenly

by Gnosis.Cat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:43 am

A couple of months ago my Sighthound Video has completely stopped being able to identify people as per my normal rules. Every single time somebody walks past it identifies them as an "Unknown Object" despite the fact it always used to get it right about 90% of the time. I have tried reinstalling the software, and deleting all files from Program Files and Appdata. I don't know what else to do. The software is failing to identify people 100% of the time. I am using a 640x480 camera but this was never an issue before!

And from the latest upgrade, I notice there is a new feature to identify vehicles. It doesn't seem to be identifying them either. Just 'unknown objects'. I am using the free version, but again, this was never an issue before and I cannot find anything saying these features are restricted in the free version. Can somebody please advise?

Kbond

Re: Sighthound completely failing to identify people suddenl

by Kbond » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble classifying objects. Can you please tell us more about the machine that you are running Sighthound Video on? I'm mostly concern about the CPU that it has.

I will be standing by for your reply, thank you!

no avatar
Gnosis.Cat

by Gnosis.Cat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Kbond wrote:Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble classifying objects. Can you please tell us more about the machine that you are running Sighthound Video on? I'm mostly concern about the CPU that it has.

I will be standing by for your reply, thank you!

Hi there, thank you for your reply.

I have an old crappy PC admittedly, dual core 2.6ghz and I cheap graphics card with 2gb of memory. Like I say, it has always worked before. Has there been a recent update that has made it incompatible with older, less powerful PCs?

no avatar
Shuser

by Shuser » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issue with People filter no longer working and all alerts are captured as Unknown. Been a long term paying customer since VitD days and my PC/Sighthound has worked fine up to now. PC is the same, as are the 2 cameras, no other changes other than now on v6.1.1, build 17563. I guess I can revert to v5.1.7 and see what happens, but I'd rather hear from Support first?

Kbond

by Kbond » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Hello,

There could be a couple of issues here. The most common is the machine not having the SSE4.1 and SSE4.1 instruction set. If you give us the CPU that the machine has, I can look it up for you. If your machine does have these instruction sets which is vital for the new Computer Vision backend to work, then can you please send in a bug report to support by clicking Help > Report a Problem? We can investigate further when we get those logs.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

-Kevin

no avatar
Shuser

by Shuser » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi Kevin, here's what SH is running on (2 cams):
HP Compaq 4000 Pro SFF PC
Product: XZ774UT
Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 @3.06 GHz
System Board: 1493
System BIOS: 786H7 v02.02
Does that give you what you need?
Thanks.

Kbond

by Kbond » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am

Hello,

Thank you for sending in those specs. If you look at the link below you can find that your machine only has the SSE4.1 instruction set:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/In ... 80571E7600).html

Sighthound Video version 6 does require both SSE4.1 and SSE4.2. You will either need to move Sighthound Video to a machine that supports this or you can downgrade to version 5.1.7. To do this, you can go to the link below and click "Looking for a previous version?" under Download Sighthound Video:

https://www.sighthound.com/account/#/sighthound-video

We do apologize for any inconvenience. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

-Kevin

no avatar
Shuser

by Shuser » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Thank you for the quick reply Kevin. I understand now why I'm having the identification issues with 6.x.x.
I am using a 10 year old PC and am thinking of upgrading the SH license to add more cams anyway, so I'll go ahead and get a new PC and use 5.1.7 in the meantime. Thanks.

Kbond

by Kbond » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:34 pm

You are very welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

no avatar
mattlead

by mattlead » Mon May 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks for this thread, I almost posted a similar issue as I was completely stuck with my new machine unable to detect people/animals/vehicles. I’d recently moved this to a VM on a server and the behaviour above started.

The solution was as above as default the proxmox Windows virtual machines setup as KVM processors with no options. Once I saw he above I changed the processor to “Host” which mirrored the processor features of the machine and all of a sudden it works!

Posting this here in case others move to a VM and almost order a Graphics card (not the correct solution). Great product SH, happy customer!

Return to Technical Support