Close

Use Old Cox, Xfinity or other Cable Company Security Cameras

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
mavace

Use Old Cox, Xfinity or other Cable Company Security Cameras

by mavace » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm

I was an old Cox Homelife subscriber. I was displeased with their setup due to the wireless nature of their cameras being extremely blurry and often unresponsive. However, I had two of their cameras and I knew they were halfway decent. I decided to make the switch to SH and see if I could get those cameras to work. The cameras I had were iCamera 2's. The process was long due to a lack of support for these cameras and the fact that the cable companies lock the administration web portal. However, I have got them working and they work very well with SH. I thought I would share some tips and tricks I learned along the way. Here is a step by step walkthrough of how to get the iCamera 2 to work with SH.

1. Plug the camera into power and hold the reset button on the back for 30 seconds.
2. Plug the camera into your network via an ethernet cable and make sure your router assigns it an IP address.
3. Log into your router and see what IP address was assigned to the camera.
4. Using a computer on the same network, open a browser and go to the IP address.
5. You will likely get a 404 error. If this happens add "/adm/enable_ui.cgi" to the end of the url.
6. This will prompt you for a password. The default is "administrator" with no password or "password"
7. You can now go back and direct your browser to the IP address of the camera and get to the administrator portal.
8. Configure the camera to your preferences.
9. Now go into sighthound and add the camera. The stream path for the iCamera 2 is "rtsp://ip-addr/img/media.sav?channel=1"

I hope this helps some of you to reuse the cameras you have from your cable company with your own system.

no avatar
supersport939

Re: Use Old Cox, Xfinity or other Cable Company Security Cam

by supersport939 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a question. Hopefully someone is still watching this.

I am trying to follow these steps for the Cox HL iCamera2. The version that I have appears to only use PoE (power over ethernet) and there is now simple / apparent way to connect power, and an ethernet connection to my router at the same time.
How did you overcome this - or does it work just over the PoE connection?

Semper Vaporo

Re: Use Old Cox, Xfinity or other Cable Company Security Cam

by Semper Vaporo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am

If I understand your problem... you need to get power onto the ethernet cable. There are "Injectors" that you can buy (fairly cheap) that do just that. You plug it into the AC power and the cable from the router to one end of it, then plug the cable from the camera into the other end. This will put the DC power onto the ethernet cable for the camera to extract and use. Usually the injector is located in the same area as the router, but does not need to be; it can be anywhere along the cable from the router to the camera, wherever AC power is available, even right at the camera itself.

There are also pairs of these devices that will fit both ends of the ethernet cable, one to inject the DC power onto the cable and one at the other end to filter the power off the cable to plug the camera power cable into and the ethernet cable like normal. This allows a non-PoE camera to be used, using the ethernet cable to act as the power cable so additional wiring for power does not need to be installed in addition to the ethernet cable. I am running two IP cams this way.
Semper Vaporo,

Return to General Discussion