Close

Sighthound

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
nunuvyurbiz

Re: Speeding up Sighthound - SSD, RAM Disk and NTFS Junction

by nunuvyurbiz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Good to know - I have a similar setup, but smaller scale. And based on this info, I moved the temp files to the external spinning disk.

1. shut down the cameras in sighthound and quit sighthound
  2. move the "~/Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video" folder to the external drive
  3. used terminal to create a sym link:

Code: Select all
ln -s /Volumes/[Name of external drive]/Sighthound\ Video /Users/[name]/Library/Application\ Support/Sighthound\ Video

Now the temp and final files are both on the external drive, which should reduce the wear on the SSD. I moved the whole Sighthound Video folder since it seems like more than just the video files were constantly getting written to.

Which reminds me, I really need to upgrade the drive to a WD Purple and upgrade the connector to a SATA III to USB 3 connector. My old, recycled 2.5" SATA I drive connected over USB 2 just isn't up to par.

no avatar
HAMMERDARRELL

by HAMMERDARRELL » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:04 am

Excellent post Mike! I really appreciate you sharing this information.

no avatar
Welshdog

by Welshdog » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 pm

Devin wrote:
hellod wrote:Where is the corresponding folder of the following in the Mac version? This is from the opening post:

The other type of temporary storage is the one we are interested with. It is stored in the folder:

C:\Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\videos\tmp\

On OSX it would be located at - /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video/. Note you will need to make hidden folders visible to reach this location.

To access hidden library folders on OSX:​
* From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
* In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

- Devin

I was considering tinkering with this RAM disk setup on my Mac Mini, but I checked the Sighthound folder size in the Libary and it's over 10GB. I don't have enough RAM to allocate that much. Would Sighthound care if I only gave it 4 or 2 GB in the RAM disk? Is there a Sighthound setting that would reduce the size of the two camera temp folders?

no avatar
beeftube

Re: Sighthound

by beeftube » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 am

Any reason this post was blanked out? :\

no avatar
Jmtyra

by Jmtyra » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I was wondering the same thing, this was very useful information. Maybe the forum admins have a backup/cache copy?? Until then, I have gathered what I could from replies to this thread and from memory. The original title "Speeding up Sighthound - SSD, RAM Disk and NTFS Junction" also provides some direction.

Please note that this is a high-level overview and NOT a step-by-step guide, but there is enough information here to implement this solution if desired. If time permits (and it probably won't) I will update the guide with more details at a later time. ;)

Overview: The goal is to move that folder to RAM because of the constant I/O generated by the video streams to this folder by using a RAM disk, and then redirecting Windows to use the RAM disk instead of the local drive.

The folder that should be moved to RAM is below (see this article for details).
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\videos\tmp\

The original post suggested SoftPerfect RAM Disk, however it is no longer free for the current version (v4.x) so instead use version 3.4.8 which is still free (link here). Wasn't sure about the download site, virustotal results here. 1GB was used for this setup based on the number of cameras, FPS and resolution. Each installation might be different depending on these variables. Once created, format the RAM disk (must be NTFS) and assign it a drive letter. This example will use 'R:' for the drive letter.

** Turn off all cameras within Sighthound and shutdown the program prior to the next step. **

The next step is to create a hard symbolic link ("directory junction") pointing to the RAM disk 'R:'. Deleting the 'tmp' folder was required prior to creating the link; your results might be different. Google provided these instructions, which resulted in this command for creating the hard symbolic link:
mklink /j "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\videos\tmp" "R:"

If the RAM disk isn't an NTFS volume it will return the following error (as was discovered the hard way):
Local NTFS volumes are required to complete the operation.

Launch Sighthound and turn the cameras back on. Under 'Options' uncheck the 'Run Sighthound Video at system startup' so that Sighthound doesn't load before the RAM Disk. Go back to SoftPerfect RAM Disk and under 'Tools' and 'Automatically Starting Applications' add in Sighthound so that it will load *after* the RAM disk is created.

Last but not least, navigate to the RAM Disk (R:\) and notice the folders have been re-created and now reside on the RAM Disk (and thus in RAM). All done! :)

no avatar
storm27

by storm27 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am

Hi guys!

First of all a huge thank you for providing solution for increase the speed of SIGHTHOUND VIDEO and to put the temp disk into RAM.

I've followed your steps it's working well.

Just a simple comment: the latest release of sighthound is providing PREVIEW about video. Using the RAM disk (putting only the temp directory into RAM through mklink) is not showing now the PREVIEW when using the SEARCH button (to see old videos / filtering by cams).

Do you know how to solve this? Maybe there's another thing to do now?

Thank you in advance for your tips!!!
Kind regards.

no avatar
storm27

by storm27 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:23 am

storm27 wrote:Hi guys!

First of all a huge thank you for providing solution for increase the speed of SIGHTHOUND VIDEO and to put the temp disk into RAM.

I've followed your steps it's working well.

Just a simple comment: the latest release of sighthound is providing PREVIEW about video. Using the RAM disk (putting only the temp directory into RAM through mklink) is not showing now the PREVIEW when using the SEARCH button (to see old videos / filtering by cams).

Do you know how to solve this? Maybe there's another thing to do now?

Thank you in advance for your tips!!!
Kind regards.

OK sorry guyz, it's working fine... in fact my SIGHTHOUND drive was recording so much stuff that it had not enough time to generate thumbs ...

Now that's done. I definitely think a migration to a faster drive will be welcome also! :)

Cheers

Previous

Return to General Discussion