If you have an old Android phone lying around you can create a fairly powerful home security system. There are two steps: First, turn the phone into a camera. Second, set up the security software on a PC or Mac.
1. On your android device:
- Download IP Webcam from the Google Play Store.
- Run the app and select "Video preferences" from the IP Webcam settings screen.
- Change the video resolution to 1280x720 for HD video, or keep it at 640x480 for older devices.
- Go back one screen to the main IP Webcam settings.
- It’s a good idea to set up a login and password under Connection Settings.
- Scroll down the list of settings and click “Start Server”.
- The app should start displaying a video feed and show an IP address and port number near the bottom of the video preview screen. Make a note of those numbers -- you will need to refer back to them shortly. (e.g., http://192.168.0.161:8080)
2. On your computer:
- Download Sighthound Video at www.sighthound.com/download and open the program.
- In the menu bar, click Tools -> Add Camera
- Change the Camera Type dropdown to “Network (IP) Camera”, Manufacturer to “Android Device”, and click the Next button.
- Select "IP Webcam" from the dropdown box next to Camera Type.
- Enter the following for the camera settings:
- IP Address: The numeric IP address shown on your IP Webcam screen (e.g., 192.168.0.161)
- HTTP Port: 8080 (Or the unique number following the colon after the IP address shown on your IP Webcam screen)
- Username/Password: If you set up a user name and password in IP Webcam, enter them here.
- Scale video to: Select the video resolution you chose in IP Webcam's Video Preferences
- Click Next
- You should now see a preview of the camera’s video from within Sighthound Video.
- Click Next and give the camera’s location a name (e.g., Front, Garage, Pool, etc.)
- Click Next and Finish to save your newly added camera.