Close

It goes to show that you can't beat video

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
OCB

It goes to show that you can't beat video

by OCB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 am

I had a serious problem with someone's pet leaving it's mess in my front garden/driveway. I have young kids, and the borders/path which are woodchip/mulch - and you don't see it until it's too late.
I'd had enough and one evening cleared them up - about 10 different places and several shovels full of the stuff.

We live in a village, and when we first moved in we tried not to rock the boat by starting fights with the locals. I used to see one neighbour take her dog for a walk - no leash - in the early morning. She used to let it run into my garden, even though I'd be standing at my window clearly watching her. This seems to have stopped after a few weeks (and there was never any poo), but when this problem started my obvious thought was it was her dog.

Queue VDVand a few days of recordings. At no point did *any* dog enter my property. Odd. However, the small object detection *had* picked up a very large and elderly ginger tomcat, who had for a while been hanging out under the bushes. Sure as sh.., I got him on camera in the act. Normally cats will cover their dirt - but I guess he was so old he'd lost this instinct.

The solution was to put down *a lot* of cat/dog repellent granules. I've not seen him for a while, so I assume he's shuffled off to the great mousehunt in the sky.

VDV saved me having a spat with the neighbours, which given the village mentality is priceless...

ryan

Re: It goes to show that you can't beat video

by ryan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the great story! Glad you were able to stay on good terms with your neighbors. :-)
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

Return to General Discussion