Close

Save feed to WHS - view on Mac

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
ollyclaret

Save feed to WHS - view on Mac

by ollyclaret » Thu May 10, 2012 7:05 am

Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a HP Proliant N40l to use as a Windows Home Server. My intention is to amongst other things use this as a storage device for a home surveillance system, I’ve stumbled across Vitamin D and it seems to fit the bill. Would it be possible to store the IP camera feed on the Home Server (always on as used as a server) and view any recordings on my Macbook Pro that will be connected to the server?
At a later date I would also like to install a couple of IP cameras at a different property on a different network. Would it be possible to save the feed of these on the Home Server at my property (FTP??).

Thanks in advance.

ryan

Re: Save feed to WHS - view on Mac

by ryan » Fri May 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi,

You could certainly connect to a headless server from your macbook via any VNC or remote desktop program. I personally use http://cord.sourceforge.net/ from my mac to connect via RDP to my headless Windows 7 machine running Vitamin D Video.

If you wish to store clips that triggered certain rules to an FTP server that is an option in the paid versions. More information on that feature can be found here: http://www.vitamindvideo.com/support/re ... s.html#ftp

If you have cameras at multiple locations, assuming you have the bandwidth between the locations to support streaming the video feeds the same VDV install you put on the home server can record from those cameras as well, you simply need to set up the correct port forwarding/firewall openings at the second locations to allow access to the video feeds.

Hope that helps,
- ryan
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
imaran786

Re: Save feed to WHS - view on Mac

by imaran786 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:17 am

User has been banned

Return to General Discussion