Close

False "people" detection caused by headlights

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
SteveV

False "people" detection caused by headlights

by SteveV » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:58 am

My house is located on a corner lot in an extremely quiet subdivision and my street has an intersection roughly in-line with my front door. I have a soffit mounted camera located at one end of the house that captures a good portion of the length of the house, walkway, and front yard. There's a small portion of the street that is also in the camera's field of view. I'm using regions to exclude the street from the detection area and this very works well during the day. Night time detection is a different story. Headlights coming towards my house from the intersection regularly trigger my people detection rule. Luckily, there's so little night time traffic that this only occurs a couple of times per night. If I were on a busy street the false positives would be unbearable.

Looking at the image attachments included on the alert emails has me wondering how people detection works given that they look nothing remotely close to human.

What's the suggested work around for this?

Kbond

Re: False "people" detection caused by headlights

by Kbond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We are aware that nighttime detections can be a bit of a struggle. However, if you are not wanting to detect the vehicles, you can exclude them by giving the rule a bounding box. If you want to keep the day time vehicle detections, you can create a new rule and have a day time rule and a night time rule. The day time rule can watch everything and the night time could potentially just watch closer to your house and ignore the road.

As for people detection at night, we found that having a floodlight with a normal camera view (Not IR) works best.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

-Kevin

no avatar
SteveV

Re: False "people" detection caused by headlights

by SteveV » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Kevin,

I'm using a people entering region rule and the region excludes the street and vehicles. I never have the issue during the day which tells me the rule and region is working as expected. The night time issue is related to the headlights aimed towards the camera as vehicles approach the intersection so I'm not sure a flood light would help.

Also, the property is part of an HOA with strict rules so it's unlikely a soffit mounted flood light would be permitted. Not to mention that a soffit mounted light near where the camera is located would be cost prohibitive and look awful.

Return to Technical Support