Close

sitehound video in Task Manger 9 times

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

CV SECURE

sitehound video in Task Manger 9 times

by CV SECURE » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:27 pm

sitehound video in Task Manger 9 times.
i open up Task manager and i see sitehound video in Task Manger 9 times in (background processes)
that doesn't seam Normal

Semper Vaporo

Re: sitehound video in Task Manger 9 times

by Semper Vaporo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 am

Perfectly normal.

There is an instance of SH for every camera you have as well as each of several individual processes that SH is doing; such as: handling remote access, e-mail notices, etc. If I had my brain in gear an hour from now (DST changed the time last night, but my brain is still on Standard Time) I could enumerate what the processes are and then tell you how many cameras you have based on the number of instances of SH you said you see.

Also, note that one of those instances has a slightly different name... that one is the interactive instance that is the one you see on the screen, the others never have a window on screen. Read the help files, it is all explained there.
Semper Vaporo,

CV SECURE

by CV SECURE » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 am

Semper Vaporo wrote:Perfectly normal.

There is an instance of SH for every camera you have as well as each of several individual processes that SH is doing

i have the basic plan i can only run 2 cameras

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:15 am

So 2 of the 9 are to handle the rules for motion detection for your cameras and the other 7 instances are the processes that SightHound is doing in the background for operation of the surveillance system.

It is not like there are 7 identical programs in your computer, but each instance is a core process that has called the necessary routines into memory to perform one process of the system (the processes are enumerated in the help files if you want to know what they are). If you somehow kill one of those processes then that feature of SH will not work. Unfortunately, you cannot know which instance is doing which process. And some of them might get reinstated if the main program or one of the others were to call for that process to act.

It is normal to see all these processes in Task Manager.

I am running a much older version of SH, since my computer is NOT connected to the internet and cannot "call hone" at start up to verify my license, so I have fewer of these processes that run in the background. I see 13 "Sighthound Agent.exe" instances and one "Sighthound Video.exe" instance on my computer. I have 9 cameras running so that is just 4 instances (of "Sighthound Agent.exe") that I cannot account for their specific purpose. You see more because the newer software has more features that run in the background.
Semper Vaporo,

Return to Technical Support