Close

Sighthound 6, no people after days, strange LAN traffic

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
jpm

Sighthound 6, no people after days, strange LAN traffic

by jpm » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 am

Long time user of Sighthound (vitaminD) here, recently upgraded to version 6, two problems (perhaps unrelated to each other) I'm noticing...

After about 9 days, it fails to recognize people anymore, everything becomes an unknown object in the search. Restarting the server fixes it, for awhile. This is a relatively new i5-7500T with 16gb RAM, Win 10 OS and sighthound software is on an SSD while recording drive is a separate spinning disk, free memory is usually about half. 6 cameras being recorded.

There are multiple NICs in this system (needed for VMs that talk to other networks/VLANs) some of the Sighthound processes seem to be continually "scanning" the other network subnets, but there are not and never will be any cameras there. I suspect this is some kind of bonjour/mdns/upnp for additional cameras, and have tired blocking the Sighthound EXEs from talking to the other network ranges using Windows firewall rules to drop the outbound traffic. The scan is excessive. Sighthound also seems to think another device on the correct LAN might be a camera when it's not (I have several Arduino Yun Shields and LaMetric devices on that same LAN) These scans are futile, there won't be more cameras to discover. Seems to me there would be a benefit to turn off camera scans/detection and also a "bind to" IP address option. Note I say bind to IP and not bind to network adapter because sometimes one network adapter will have multiple IPs. Sighthound should then restrict itself to only talking on that IP. This has many security benefits for corporate networks where "scans" like this set off all kinds of alarm bells or even prevent a product from being considered/implemented.

...I know version 6 was a long time coming and software development is hard, hopefully these things I mention are still being worked on.

P.S. Any chance the mobile app will see the ability to store credentials and switch between multiple sighthound instances soon, ever??? This is still a hangup for me as I'm having customers give their $$ to Axis or Digital Watchdogs instead of Sighthound.

Kbond

Re: Sighthound 6, no people after days, strange LAN traffic

by Kbond » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 am

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. I will answer your questions below:

This is very odd and nothing that I've seen before. Can you please send over your logs by clicking Help > Report a Problem from Sighthound Video. This will create a ticket and we can continue talking about this through that.

You are correct in assuming this is UPnP and Onvif scans. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell Sighthound Video to stop scanning, however, you are able to disable UPnP and Onvif completely. The only thing to take into consideration when doing this is if any of your cameras are connected through one of those protocols then they will fail to work. Although, you are able to redo those connections with a manual setup. You can find more information about how to connect a camera manually below:

https://www.sighthound.com/support/manu ... mera-setup

If you need additional help with this, please supply us with the make/model of your cameras and we will be more than happy to find the configurations that you will need.

So, if you would like to disable UPnP and Onvif, you will need to go to your Sighthound Video data folder (https://www.sighthound.com/support/wher ... store-data) and add the following two file found below:

disableUpnp
disableOnvif

Things to note about these files:

1) There should be no extension to these files. If there is a .txt or anything, it will fail to disable.
2) These should be blank files. There should not be any text in them at all.
3) These files should be placed in the main Sighthound Video directory. I will throw the destination of these folders for Mac and Windows below, however, you can find this in the link I provided above (https://www.sighthound.com/support/wher ... store-data):

On Windows - C:\ProgramData\Sighthound Video\ or C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\

On OSX - /Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video/ or /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Sighthound Video/

Please give that a try and let us know if you stop seeing those scans. We will also be standing by for your logs to investigate your first issue as well, thank you!

no avatar
jpm

by jpm » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 am

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Creating the files disableUpnp + disableOnvif have infact disabled the scans - that's awesome!
All cameras I added using their static IP and/or stream URL, so nothing else needed to be changed.

Ticket submitted through the software is #3980

no avatar
gdb

by gdb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:06 am

Thanks for this information. I'm currently evaluating Sighthound Video, and I noticed my LAN connected HP M276n printer was crashing. It stops responding to network traffic and the LCD freezes. Sometimes it reboots and show the message "79 service error" after reboot.

Took me some time to figure out the Sighthound Video ONVIF / UPnP scans where for some reason causing the crash.

I've now disabled them, and my printer is working fine again. I have one camera connected using ONVIF, but I already configured it manually, so no problem there, it remains working.

no avatar
habari

by habari » Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm

I would also like to disable Onvif etc. The listed "disableUpnp" and "disableOnvif" appear to be text without linked files.

I am using Mac OS and can get to the app support folder; where are these files and where in the app support folder do they go?

Return to Technical Support