Close

Memory Leak

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Peeker

Memory Leak

by Peeker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:08 am

Every few days my computer grinds to a screeching halt because it runs out of memory and hard disk space. I am forced to restart. One time I was able to get Activity Monitor open to see that SH had multiple threads each using several dozens of gigabytes of memory. Due to this the swap file filled up my HD. Is there a way to prevent this?

Sighthound 6.1.1 build 17563
6 cameras
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2
RAM: 16 GB
HD space: 65 GB free when not eaten up by the swap file
Mac Mini 2018 2.6 GHz quad core i3
Graphics: Intel UHD 630 with 1.5GB of ram

Kbond

Re: Memory Leak

by Kbond » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 am

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Sighthound Video is a multi-process application. You should see 5 processes + an additional for each enabled camera. The more CPU intensive processes are the cameras, recording and analyzing the streams. The other processes serve various functions such as monitoring and managing hard drive usage and removing old videos, hosting remote access, and sending responses.

With Sighthound Video version 6 using our main Computer Vision software as the backend, CPU load is a bit higher. If your computer is struggling with keeping up, it might be a good idea to revert back to Sighthound Video version 5.1.7. You can do that by going to the link below and clicking "Looking for a previous version?" under Download Sighthound Video:

https://www.sighthound.com/account/#/sighthound-video

Please don't hesitate to reach out to support be emailing us at support@sighthound.com, thank you!

no avatar
Peeker

by Peeker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks for this info. I have at any given time 15 processes running with only 6 cameras connected. Usually they are each using hundreds of megabytes each. Which I guess might be reasonable. But when they start using dozens of gigabytes, what might be wrong?

Kbond

by Kbond » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 am

Hello,

If you click Help > Report a Problem directly from Sighthound VIdeo, that will send us your logs and we can take a deeper look at what is going on. When you send that report in, it will auto-create a ticket. We will reply to you directly from that.

We will be standing by for your reply, thank you!

Return to Technical Support