Close

"Could not connect" when trying to edit camera

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
pinedesk

"Could not connect" when trying to edit camera

by pinedesk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:23 am

I am running Sighthound v6.0.8 build 17542. The camera is a Logitech C920 connected through USB. The camera is connected, and Sighthound is recording video correctly. I am trying to change a few settings. When I go to Cameras tab, right click in video, click Edit Camera. The Camera Setup window pops up. When I hit "Next", the picture shows connecting, then "Could not connect". On that screen, it says to make sure that no other applications are using the camera. I killed processes for Skype, but that did not work.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Kbond

Re: "Could not connect" when trying to edit camera

by Kbond » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:36 am

Hello,

If you are running on a Mac with Mojave or later, we have been seeing some issues with webcams. The main issue is the increased security around the OS in general. We have been seeing that when first connected, the webcams do work but after a reboot it will fail. We do have a workaround to fix this found below:

1. Turn off the cameras in SV (Sighthound Video) and close SV.
2. Navigate to SV data folder. Here is more information on how to locate Sighthound's data folder https://www.sighthound.com/support/wher ... store-data.
3. Open 'shlaunch.cfg'
4. Change backend to "false" (without quotation marks) and save the changes.
5. Restart SV and the webcams should be able to reconnect.

If you are not running on a Mac, please send us a bug report by clicking Help > Report a Problem. That will send us your logs which will help us investigate this issue further.

One last note, we do have a newer build 6.1.1 which is out. This version does have some bug fixes that were found on the version you are currently running. I would suggest upgrading to that one.

We will be standing by for your reply, thank you!

no avatar
pinedesk

by pinedesk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, Kbond!

I am using Windows 10 / 1909. Thanks for letting me know about new update. I had previous used the check for updates option in the Help menu, but it didn't say there were any. I'll go ahead and download/install the update from website to see if that does it. I'll report back after. Thanks!

no avatar
pinedesk

by pinedesk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Upgrading to 6.1.1 did not fix the issue. I went to Help / Report a Problem. Thanks again.

Kbond

by Kbond » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you for sending in the report. I did receive it and now reviewing the logs. I will update you on the ticket that the report created. Thanks again!

-Kevin

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 pm

I have had webcams (Logitech, Microsoft and HP) get persnickety and refuse to work until I plugged it into a different USB port.

I have had them working and then later they will refuse to "connect" after reboot; even though I can access them via another webcam viewing program (AMCap).

If I move the cable to a different USB port (maybe even having to try a couple of different ports, I think to get to one with a different hub controller), then it will work with SH.

But then it may fail again after a reboot and I can move it back to the original port and all is well again. Strange, to be sure! This happened some time ago under 2 or 3 different versions of Winders and different brands and models of PCs, but not recently (and I am still running a very old version of SightHound -- 2.5.1).

It doesn't happen often enough to really get a good trouble-shoot going. I am wondering if maybe I should unplug all the USB cameras (I have 5 presently) during the reboot and plug them in one at a time after SH is running and enable (turn them ON in SH) one at a time.

I have also found that sometimes it depends on the order that I enable the cameras in SH. But this is maybe not a real "fix" because sometimes a certain order will work several times in a row, then then it fails and I have to reboot and try again and then it works.
Semper Vaporo,

Return to Technical Support