Close

Best cameras for use with Sighthound?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Max&Leo

Best cameras for use with Sighthound?

by Max&Leo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:38 pm

So there's a couple-year-old list of cameras that work with SH. I'm wondering if SH Staff can chime in with their FAVORITE cameras. The on es that "just work." I need to buy 4 or 6 new cameras. I have a Mac and iPhones if it makes any difference.

Kbond

Re: Best cameras for use with Sighthound?

by Kbond » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:04 am

Hello,

If you are looking to purchase cameras, we normally recommend Axis(which are a bit expensive) and Hikvision which are the best. Dahua and Ubiquiti would be the next tier in quality. Things to consider when buying new cameras:

* You get what you pay for. The lower end tends to be mostly rebranded or slightly tweaked off the shelf components, trying to compete on cost and skimping everywhere else. For instance, sitting in front of me I have 3 cameras that all look identical other than the logo, all cost under $100, and are all quite unpleasant to use.

* Read reviews from people who own the camera, whether on Amazon or another site. They've lived with it, if they love it or hate it they'll let you know. Be wary of the hate posts for being user error, but if there is a lot it's a bad sign.

* Check out the manufacturer's website. If they don't have one, or it has no real content, avoid. They should have easy access to firmware updates, manuals, and tech support. If they don't, or if their tech support forum is filled with issue after issue, avoid. Axis, for example, makes it very easy to obtain information and support.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

no avatar
cwizard

by cwizard » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Hikvision cameras are great, a 4MP will do nicely.

no avatar
Koruzan

by Koruzan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 am

I like Hikvision too

Return to General Discussion