Close

Email delay

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
jplechateau

Email delay

by jplechateau » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm using the latest Sighthound Video beta 6 version and I have alerts send to a Gmail email address. Most of the time there's more than 60 minutes between the alert happening and receiving the email (with IMAP).
So, why does this happen? Normally I receive any emails "instantaneous".
JP.

no avatar
schneideris

Re: Email delay

by schneideris » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:32 pm

I did the update to version 6 and over the last 24 hours have been getting a spammed from snow storm false alarms. Though not a preferred scenario for me, it may help you.

This afternoon I happened to noticed that one of the emails notifications came in with a significant delay. The one that caught my attention came almost an hour and a half after the event. It was also odd in that it arrived after another message that was delayed by 15 minutes but was newer than the first one mentioned here. Some other messages were delayed 3, 5, 10, and 1 minutes. The 1 minute delays could just as easily be a rounding error and coming from a few seconds in delta. All of these messages fell within a ~2 hour timeframe. The vast majority of the messages though, outside of this timeframe, have been coming in within a reasonably "immediate" timing.

It is possible that my service provider for email hosting was doing maintenance on the servers, or that they were being tasked from some other activity. There is also the potential that other activities on the machine running SightHound was performing other activities that impacted performance. Email is not intended, as a internet service, to be a real-time solution so there is never any real guarantee of its response times. The capability of service providers, and our being spoiled by faster and faster performance of the internet, has spoiled us into thinking that everything will come at the time it is taken.

You might setup a IFTTT trigger to send you a note, or write to a Google Sheet when an event happens. Then have the Google Sheet write the timestamp for when the message was received. You could also just have IFTTT do something else and then have it send a notice that the event fired to you mobile phone app from IFTTT. Though this would rely on IFTTT services being near real-time, it would help to validate if it is a SightHound or general email thing. If it is a poor internet connection or a machine processing thing you might not get enough information from this test, but it gives you a start.
-Peter

no avatar
universe

by universe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 am

Happens all the time for me. It is a bug in v6.0

Apparently it’ll be fixed in a future update.

no avatar
ericcirone

by ericcirone » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 am

This happens for me as well. I'll get the notification like 20, 30, 60 min late. It's random. Sometimes notifications will be instantaneous. Sometimes delayed. I hope it gets fixed. Never had the issue on V5.

no avatar
Steve

by Steve » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 am

I'm having the same issues. I raised a ticket with support and they said

"we are seeing some errors from Google Firebase (one of the hops in the push sequence). This happens from time to time and usually has little customer impact."

I'm still getting delays, pretty serious for a Security system that covers my home. I hope they fix it soon.

no avatar
Koruzan

by Koruzan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am

There may be several reasons. It's an Internet provider, and the speed of your gadgets, and the difference in software and more.

Return to Technical Support