Close

Timed disable cameras/rule

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
markn62

Timed disable cameras/rule

by markn62 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm

I can't count how many times I've disabled a rule, or all cameras, and a day or two later realize I've had no security since the disable. Don't want yard work to create 100's of alerts that have to be cleared. Seems like a timed disable, in iOS app, would be a "no brainer". Or some kind of reminder pop-up every so often. Security is poor security if it's off part of the time. As a poor work-around, I would write a script to enable, at end of day, if I had a remote command I could send to SH server.

Anyone else share the need for such a feature? Please reply if you do.

no avatar
mr.Magoo

Re: Timed disable cameras/rule

by mr.Magoo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 am

I do agree that there's a need to handle excessive triggers, and I do see two different implementations as there's two different issues.

One is a temporary sleep function, just like you say, through the app, create a 30min sleep timer (kinda like your TV)... tap it once for 30min, twice for 60min, then 90min and maybe back to 0 again.
(linked to the server as I wouldn't want the app to be the actual timer)

The second is an automatic sleep function on the rules...
I live in a house with many trees around it, and on a sunny but windy day like yesterday I get a lot of moving shadows and with that a LOT of false triggers, so it would be nice if there was a setting to "Do not re-trigger in X minutes"

no avatar
markn62

Re: Timed disable cameras/rule

by markn62 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 pm

@mr.Magoo Good ideas. A simple green or red dot in the corner of each scene in the multi-camera view would be another helpful way to know a filter is off.

I too have days where moving shadows false trigger to the annoying point I disable the filter for that camera, but usually forget to turn it back on. You would think the motion algorithm could distinguish between a small amount of back and forth movement vs a continuous movement in a common direction into different pixel regions and therefore not false trigger moving tree branch shadows. We have 180 days of sun a year here and false triggers can go on for a few hours resulting in a dozen alerts even having inside region and 2 second delay employed to minimize them.

Just found another camera this morning that wouldn't trigger when I walked past it. Don't know how long it's filter has been disabled. My wife occasionally disables them too and there is no sync between us to know who is doing what in terms of filter disables.

Return to Feature Requests