Close

Masking

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
3Dave

Masking

by 3Dave » Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 pm

A useful feature would be to have a mask that could be applied after an object detection has occurred.
This would enable many spurious "Unknown" detections to be eliminated in high activity areas that are of no importance.
An example in my case is a piece of road visible in the corner of one of my cameras. Cars pass frequently and the search log is filled with meaningless "Unknown" clips.

Semper Vaporo

Re: Masking

by Semper Vaporo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 pm

I have often wanted that feature myself, but I have accomplished it using a piece of black electrical tape over the window the cameras view through... it can be difficult to get it "exactly right", but can work.

Better still, some IP cameras have that function built-in. I have an FDT brand camera that can have up to 4 areas masked off. The camera is a remote PTZ type; unfortunately, the masked areas do not remain in the same physical real world area, but remains in the same position on the view screen. e.g.: I can mask out my neighbor's house but if I reposition the view in pan or tilt, the mask is still over the same spot on the screen, and no longer over the neighbor's house.

I believe there are other cameras ($$$) where the masked area does remain over the real world position and the camera can be reposition without the user having to reposition the mask.
Semper Vaporo,

Semper Vaporo

Re: Masking

by Semper Vaporo » Thu May 16, 2019 9:25 am

I should add that neither of those methods is ideal. It is nice to reduce the clutter of thousands of clips in the list, but I often want to see what happened in the area that was masked.

I often go through the day's clips one rule at a time to reduce the clutter, but I agree that having Sighthound ignore an area would be helpful.

Another problem with blocking out an area is that the scene is a 2D representation of a 3D world. If I block out my neighbor's house or the street I also block out the face of a person that is closer to the camera.
Semper Vaporo,

Return to Feature Requests