Close

Follow a build from barebones to final install

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
smyers

Follow a build from barebones to final install

by smyers » Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I have been a long time lurker, but never could justify hitting the 'DO IT!' button with this software due to it's many flaws, the one major one being at the time was no support for audio. There is still many things I am not happy with but the positive finally out-weigh the negative and I figured I would document a install from building out the server to the install process and the challenge's that I come across. This build is only for a 12 camera system.

My main concern working with sighthound was how CPU intensive this software is, vs other enterprise solutions I am use to deploying. I see that as a major problem if they ever intend to target a more enterprise audience. When I was spec'ing this out I needed reliable but cheap. I spent the money where it deserves to be and skimped on the case. I think when I priced it was somewhere under 2500 for the server itself. I probably could of done it for under 2000, but I didn't want to run into any CPU exhaustion problems.

The final server is spec'd as follows:
  • Non Names brand 4u case with 8 hot swappable bays
  • Supermicro X11SCA-F motherboard
  • Xeon E-2146G 3.5Ghz CPU
  • M.2 boot drive
  • 32Gb DDR4-2400 ECC UDimm
  • 8 4TB HDD

I'll keep this thread updated. The build out probably won't be until next month. I'll try and add some pictures as well.

no avatar
JesseS

Re: Follow a build from barebones to final install

by JesseS » Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Interesting, my 9 cam system is spec'ed lower but works fine. I did use SSD's for system as well as data storage due to the increased clip search time with 3-5K clips a day. Really looking forward to SH6.0 but not until they get all of the bugs worked out. I will follow your progress.

no avatar
flynreelow

Re: Follow a build from barebones to final install

by flynreelow » Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 pm

JesseS wrote:Interesting, my 9 cam system is spec'ed lower but works fine. I did use SSD's for system as well as data storage due to the increased clip search time with 3-5K clips a day. Really looking forward to SH6.0 but not until they get all of the bugs worked out. I will follow your progress.

you are going to kill your SSD using it as data storage.

should just use ssd for the program, and then use wd purples for storage

Return to General Discussion