Close

Sighthound Video 6 beta issues

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
kgonzalez

Re: Sighthound Video 6 beta issues

by kgonzalez » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am

Hi everyone,

If you are interested in reading more about version 2 of beta we released a blog post on May 31 that can be found at the link below:

https://www.sighthound.com/blog/sightho ... o-6-beta-2

no avatar
joelegg

by joelegg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm

thanks!

Now GPU offloading is supported for the systems with 6th to 8th generation Intel Core or Xeon processors with Iris® Pro graphics and Intel HD Graphics.

does this just work out of the box? I have an intel hd graphics chip on my macbook pro running version 6.

no avatar
mr.Magoo

by mr.Magoo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 am

kgonzalez wrote:Hi everyone,

If you are interested in reading more about version 2 of beta we released a blog post on May 31 that can be found at the link below:

https://www.sighthound.com/blog/sightho ... o-6-beta-2

Not so sure the memory leak issue have been resolved...
Attachments
Capture.PNG

no avatar
warthog9

by warthog9 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 pm

joelegg wrote:thanks!

Now GPU offloading is supported for the systems with 6th to 8th generation Intel Core or Xeon processors with Iris® Pro graphics and Intel HD Graphics.

does this just work out of the box? I have an intel hd graphics chip on my macbook pro running version 6.

I haven't noticed a significant difference in CPU or GPU usage on an i7-6700t which should be in the list of supported systems (6th gen Intel Core w/ HD Graphics). CPU load for my 12 active cameras is bouncing between 50-60%, GPU usage is generally bouncing between 1 - 7% usage according to task manager -> performance tab on windows 10 (ohhhh for a Linux version...).

I don't see an option to enable it, so I'm assuming it's used automatically on detection, but I'm not sure it's doing anything on my setup currently.

no avatar
cwizard

by cwizard » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm unable to start remote access, it just says Server starting. I submitted a bug.

no avatar
LarsA

by LarsA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm using 2 cameras and are experiencing quite heavy load on my cpu and ram. Is this normal?
I'm also getting a yellow warning triangle saying that the computer is under heavy load. One camera is using over 600mb ram.
I'm only running sighthound on a fresh Windows installation.

See
Attachments
Screenshot_20190620_000515.jpg
Screenshot_20190620_000414.jpg
Screenshot_20190620_000250.jpg

no avatar
Johannes_L

by Johannes_L » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 pm

Hello,

I wonder, has Sighthound considered to give the users possibilities to tech the algorithms in the real use cases and environment? What I mean is that it is difficult to see, one-size-fits-all approach without any config possibilities would really improve the product quality and minimize the false alarms.

Regards
Johannes

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

LarsA wrote:I'm using 2 cameras and are experiencing quite heavy load on my cpu and ram. Is this normal?
I'm also getting a yellow warning triangle saying that the computer is under heavy load. One camera is using over 600mb ram.
I'm only running sighthound on a fresh Windows installation.

See

What resolution/frame size are the data from your cameras? What is the frame rate?

While it is nice for after-the-fact viewing to have both of those at high values, high frame sizes and frame rates translate into lots of information being processed.

The frame rate does not need to be more than 10 frames per second (I'm not sure, but that may be all that SH actually looks at, but the others have to be read, processed enough to store them, and then get discarded). The extra frames are just a waste of processing time. Granted, when you play them back it is nice to see smooth video and lots of intermediate frames showing things that might get missed if you are only capturing 10 per second, but extra frames make the files bigger, which takes extra space for storage and extra time to push to the disk, etc.

High resolution frames are also nice when you want to see detail (such as facial features, etc.) but they also take lots of room to store, time to push to the disk and much more time just to process. (Double the image size is FOUR times the data to process and store.)

You have to strike a balance between desirable detail to see and the time and processing to handle all the extra data that is not needed just to see if motion occurred.

Suggestions have been made to have the cameras send two streams (SOME IP cams can do this) to store the HD stream but process just the lower res/frame rate stream. But you also have to take into account how fast your network is (some WiFi systems will bog down with just 2 HD video streams).

In addition, in a high density WiFi area (lots of neighbor's also running WiFi on the same or close frequencies) will clog the system, causing missed frames of data (portions of frames of video) causing them to need to be retransmitted, if the system is capable of doing so, otherwise the data is just lost and that might be the cause of SH showing that little yellow triangle.

You might want to get a program that can monitor WiFi signals (there are some free ones) in your area and check to see if there are too many on the same or adjacent channels in your area. WiFi Routers will let you pick which channel to use. Few people know this and thus many routers in neighborhoods/apartment buildings are all on the usual default channel. Newer routers will listen to all channels to find the least used one before selecting the one to use. But once selected, it won't change until power is cycled to make it do the check again, so if a channel WAS "free" it might get clogged later as other routers come online.

Routers also often have the ability to reduce their power output so as to reduce interference with other nearby WiFi signals, but it requires cooperation of all the owners in an area to reduce all their routers' output power (otherwise, if you are the only one to reduce the power on yours, you are helping them but not yourself!)
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
joelegg

by joelegg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 pm

when is the next beta update going to be? last one was 05/31 right?

no avatar
mr.Magoo

by mr.Magoo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:17 pm

https://www.sighthound.com/account/#/si ... o/download#download-panel
Sighthound Video BETA 6b.17511 6/30/2019

They've been pretty good about updating it at the end of every month, last was June 30th.
Hopefully there's a new version coming out soon, not that there's any bugs in the current one, but one could always wish for additional features.

I also wish that Sighthound would be more active on the forum as it's the best channel for feature requests and other discussions.

Previous

Return to General Discussion