Close

How many cameras?

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
JesseS

How many cameras?

by JesseS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:00 pm

How many cameras can I expect to connect to one host? I am currently running the system on a dedicated iMac 2.5GHz i5 with 12 GB RAM and a 2TB SSD with 9 Reolink cameras @ 1080P and 5 FPS on the monitor.
My only issue is constant re-connects of the monitored video stream, doesn't seem to affect recording but just monitoring the streams on the Grid view. It seems I have maxed out the CPU at 98% with the 9 cameras, but when I run the same 9 cameras in the Reolink client with video/audio recording the CPU load is only at 25%, leaving room for several more cameras. So this puts me in a quandary, do I spend big bucks for a new i7 8700 MAC to add more cameras.... or just switch to the Reolink client???
So my question is.... will SH6 be more efficient at handling video streams? because as it stands now it is a huge resource hog. I really like SH but I need to add 2 more cameras and I don't really want to have to get a whole new system to do it.

no avatar
kgonzalez

Re: How many cameras?

by kgonzalez » Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 am

Hey JesseS,

Sighthound Video is a multi-process application. You should see five processes + an additional for each enabled camera.

Sighthound Video has more than one process. The more CPU intensive processes are the cameras, recording and analyzing the streams. The other processes serve various functions such as monitoring and managing hard drive usage and removing old videos, hosting remote access, and sending responses. As of now, Sighthound Video 6 Beta uses about 30% more CPU than Sighthound Video 5.

Kenneth

Return to Technical Support