Close

Failure to turn off camera that could not be connected to

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
markpoyser

Failure to turn off camera that could not be connected to

by markpoyser » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:55 pm

One one machine, which has been able to access the built in webcam, when I click Turn Off Camera, the display is:
Camera turned off

On another machine that has been unable to connect (because it's on a Mac "upgraded" to Mojave) the display on startup is
Could not connect
When I click Turn Off Camera, the display is unchanged, so I'm not sure that the camera will be turned off if Sighthound manages to connect to the camera later on (which it has been able to do occasionally).

no avatar
kgonzalez

Re: Failure to turn off camera that could not be connected t

by kgonzalez » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Hello @markpoyser,

I'm sorry you are running into this problem with the built-in camera on Mac. Since the update to Mojave and it's security improvements there seems to be issues when users restart their systems and try to connect webcams and the built-in iMac/Facetime camera. We currently do not have a complete solution, but there is a workaround. I hope you find the steps below helpful.

1. Turn off the cameras in SV (Sighthound Video) and close SV.

2. Navigate to SV data folder. Here is more information on how to locate Sighthound's data folder https://www.sighthound.com/support/wher ... store-data.

3. Open 'shlaunch.cfg'

4. Change backend to "false" (without quotation marks) and save the changes.

5. Restart SV and the webcams should be able to reconnect.

Regards,

Kenneth

no avatar
markpoyser

by markpoyser » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Thank you for your reply. It's helped .. somewhat.
Here's the sequence of events I'm experiencing:

Delete SV, reinstall SV, Start SV (which connects to the webcam), via Preferences check Run Sighthound Video at system startup, manually edit backend=FALSE, shlaunch.cfg:

[Main]
autostart=TRUE
backend=FALSE

Turn Off Cameras, Quit SV, restart Mac

No SV, webcamlight is off

manually start SV, shlaunch.cfg:

[Main]
autostart=FALSE (!)
backend=TRUE (!)

Quit SV, manually edit backend=FALSE, start SV

connects to camera, webcamlight is on - We're recording, so that's good.

But:
autostart is changed to FALSE after a restart
any restart of the Mac requires subsequent manual edit of shlaunch.cfg and manual start of SV

I think there's an issue with the autostart affecting the settings and how they are applied.

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello @markpoyser,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of what you are experiencing. The engineering team and I are aware that my previous response is not a complete solution, but rather a workaround for current users running webcams on Mac Mojave. The engineering department has been made aware of the current webcam issue and having to alter shlaunch.cfg file. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing.

Regards,

Kenneth

Return to Technical Support