Close

No updates, no support

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

Kbond

Re: No updates, no support

by Kbond » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 am

Hello tallrob,

I completely understand your frustration. I've illustrated my frustrations to engineering since I get so much feedback from our customers. Engineering is working tirelessly on creating the best version of Sighthound Video to date and since the backend is completely different, they have come across a few obstacles which is why they do not have an estimated timeline on its release; they don't know what other obstacles they might find before it's everything is done. Again, we do greatly apologize for the delay in the release, but rest assured that we are not taking this delay lightly and are working hard to release this version as soon as possible.

Regards,
-Kevin

no avatar
fenderman

by fenderman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 pm

tallrob wrote:"Unfortunately, they do not have an estimated time on when they will be finished."

That's the problem. You've been saying this for almost a year. What kind of engineering team has no idea when they'll be finished, while the customer base gets scared off? You should tell someone to light a fire.

You have obviously not been scared off despite your passive aggressive threats to move to cloud cameras, which we know is not something you will do. Sighthound owes you nothing. Dont like their software move to another VMS. There are plenty. You will survive another few months on v5. Stop acting like an entitled child.

no avatar
tallrob

by tallrob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

fenderman wrote:
tallrob wrote:"Unfortunately, they do not have an estimated time on when they will be finished."

That's the problem. You've been saying this for almost a year. What kind of engineering team has no idea when they'll be finished, while the customer base gets scared off? You should tell someone to light a fire.

You have obviously not been scared off despite your passive aggressive threats to move to cloud cameras, which we know is not something you will do. Sighthound owes you nothing. Dont like their software move to another VMS. There are plenty. You will survive another few months on v5. Stop acting like an entitled child.

Uh, get bent, buddy. I'm about two months into doing serious research on the cloud based options. You (who are somehow "we") know I won't move to cloud based cameras? Why the heck wouldn't I? Sighthound owes me exactly what every other developer owes their customers who have invested heavily in their software: communication. And they literally they owe me my upgrade subscription I purchased which has been next to worthless. Thanks very much for your monumental ignorance

You call me a child? Where the f*ck do you get off? What kind of suck-up are you to baselessly defend a retail software developer and insult other customers who reasonably want to know what's going on with a product they're paying for? Piss off, douchebag.

Sheesh.

no avatar
tallrob

by tallrob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Kbond wrote:Hello tallrob,

I completely understand your frustration. I've illustrated my frustrations to engineering since I get so much feedback from our customers. Engineering is working tirelessly on creating the best version of Sighthound Video to date and since the backend is completely different, they have come across a few obstacles which is why they do not have an estimated timeline on its release; they don't know what other obstacles they might find before it's everything is done. Again, we do greatly apologize for the delay in the release, but rest assured that we are not taking this delay lightly and are working hard to release this version as soon as possible.

Regards,
-Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. I can work with that for now.

no avatar
jpm

by jpm » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm

I'd just like to offer my difference of opinion...

While the world is currently enamored with "simply works" cloud-based solutions, that while yes some may be easier to setup, actually decrease your security, and privacy - Sighthound Video is still GREAT in that you can create your own OFFLINE, NON-INTERNET dependent DVR solution.

I see for example the Android and IOS app reviews are plagued by wanna-be-sysadmins or your average consumer who is "upset" things "don't simply work" because they don't understand LAN vs. WAN IPs, or can't be bothered to setup port forwarding or a dynamic DNS name (like DuckDNS), or pay for a static IP and do it right.

Sighthound is still awesome because it's NOT like every other crappy DVR in a box solution (Lorex, Bolide, or whatever China-made thing; built ontop of an old unpatched version of open source Linux crapware where who knows what you're getting, or what back-door is built-in)
...sure, those other things automatically port forward, or use UPNP, or have some outside "relay server" to make outside connection possible without any end-user thought or setup - but that also means the company can potentially access your DVR and cameras, or turn the box into some kind of botnet. What you WANT is choosing your own port, making your own firewall rules to access that port, and choosing your own authentication (username/password) option that is NOT tied to any big company database just waiting to be compromized.

What you WANT in a DVR/security solution is a tested, well-thought-out, software that you update when you so choose. I don't want weekly/monthly updates - I want the manufacture to build and test and release a quality product - that's something else that's lost in today's norm of "Windows 10 cloud OS nonsense" and "always connected/always updating" crapware - where the consumer becomes the beta tester for the software and there is essentially no QA department.

That said, I LOVE my Sighthound instances (of which there are many) but the only things that cause me any negative opinion towards Sighthound are...
- The mobile apps don't allow for saving of multiple credentials for those of us who have multiple Sighthound systems across different properties.
- The authentication doesn't allow for multiple levels (for example Tom can live view only, while his manager Jake can live view and see recordings, and me the sysadmin can live view, see recordings, and delete recordings, and add/remove cameras)
- The "facial" recognition that is available in the "Sighthound Recognize" app is not also built into Sighthound video (for example, so that I can create rules in Sighthound when it sees my face at the front door camera, run a script, that will unlock the front door)
- The license plate or UPS truck recognition that is hinted to in other areas of the Sighthound site are not built into Sighthound video (for example when my car pulls into the parking garage, run a script, that will open the garage door, or when the UPS truck is seen, open the garage door so he/she can put the package inside, email me about it, and then close it again when it sees the truck leave)

...that would be the only "innovations" I'm waiting for. Not more cloud-connected/dependent nonsense.

It's anyone guess at this point if I'm going to be impressed with the latest Sighthound video software update that I can't wait to purchase, or if this has turned into another cloud obsessed company I will abandon in a heartbeat.

I would say to the Sighthound team, if anyone is still reading this, don't be discouraged by every "end-user" or "wanna-be-sysadmin" who wants "easy" rather that secure, your work on an autonomous and tested software is still appreciated by some!

no avatar
tallrob

by tallrob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am

jpm wrote:I'd just like to offer my difference of opinion...

Not sure whose opinion you're differing with, but I agree 100% with every bit of what you said. I think that's why I'm so antsy about knowing what's in store, because I'm afraid we're going to get a very dumbed down version of Sighthound. My search for cloud-based options doesn't include Amazon or Arlo or the like. But there's nothing else out there like Sighthound, so if it goes down the Cloud road, I'm stuck with the future of HomeKit type automation (which, btw, HomeKit integration would be ok with me as long as Sighthound remains as flexible as it currently is).

I just want communication from the devs about what to expect. That's all. There are bugs and feature requests that are YEARS old, and people who have paid for a bogus upgrade subscription with zero upgrades in that time. I'm also bracing for a huge price increase with no concessions for those who have already paid, as is usually the case with "complete rewrites".

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm

jpm wrote:I'd just like to offer my difference of opinion...

While the world is currently enamored with "simply works" cloud-based solutions, that while yes some may be easier to setup, actually decrease your security, and privacy - Sighthound Video is still GREAT in that you can create your own OFFLINE, NON-INTERNET dependent DVR solution.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the "OFFLINE, NON-INTERNET" part. You cannot use most of the recent enhancements that allow you to receive notices via your cell phone, and view video remotely, etc. unless you are connected to the Internet.

To make matters even worse, you cannot even use the non-internet enhancements (speed of operation, newer video encodings, etc.) because the program won't run unless it can "phone home" to verify your purchased license. That "Phone home" requirement means you MUST have an Internet connection.

I am stuck using the last version prior to that "enhancement" since my surveillance computer system is not, and never will be, connected to the Internet. I have a local network to connect several IP cameras, but there is no connection to the "Internet" at all, so it cannot "phone home" and the latest versions quit when they cannot verify the license.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
cwizard

by cwizard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Brother have you considered correctly configuring network security to allow your camera system to get its license verification done and thats it.... can be done with security gateways.

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 am

That would be wonderful, but would require installation of some sort of communication method to an ISP and paying for it.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
fenderman

by fenderman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 pm

tallrob wrote:
fenderman wrote:

Uh, get bent, buddy. I'm about two months into doing serious research on the cloud based options. You (who are somehow "we") know I won't move to cloud based cameras? Why the heck wouldn't I? Sighthound owes me exactly what every other developer owes their customers who have invested heavily in their software: communication. And they literally they owe me my upgrade subscription I purchased which has been next to worthless. Thanks very much for your monumental ignorance

You call me a child? Where the f*ck do you get off? What kind of suck-up are you to baselessly defend a retail software developer and insult other customers who reasonably want to know what's going on with a product they're paying for? Piss off, douchebag.

Sheesh.

lol, you feel like they owe you something and not delivering yet you are still here rambling. So why have you not found this magical cloud solution that works yet? tell us all about it! Do you not compressed the severe limitations of cloud? I dont even use sighthound. My purpose is to tell you off because I could tell what kind of person you are. Your response confirmed it. :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion