Close

Homebridge/Homekit

Learn how to turn an Android phone into an IP camera security system with Sighthound, download automation scripts & more.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
YoKev7

Homebridge/Homekit

by YoKev7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:43 am

I thought I submitted this post yesterday but it seems it never posted. So rewriting:

I've successfully set up my two IP cams that Sighthound Video monitors in Homebridge and Homekit, the main reason being I wanted to take advantage of Homekit's rich notification for cameras when a motion sensor is triggered in the same "room" as the camera -- which gives a notification + image snapshot on iOS.

I can elaborate on the steps if anyone would like, but the basics are: I emulated motion sensors in each HomeKit room that contained a camera using Homebridge, and through Sighthound ran a shell script (via "run a command") that triggers the homebridge motion sensor when a rule is broken. When the motion is triggered, HomeKit sends a snapshot to me as notification.

The flaw I'm trying to work out currently is this: Sighthound sends me the perfect snapshot via email when a rule is triggered, which shows the exact cause of the rule being triggered. The HomeKit notification, however, is giving me snapshots with a several second delay, and often missing the cause of the rule being triggered. I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten up this process and remove as much delay as possible happening between the rule being triggered, the running of command, and homebridge triggering the motion. Does anyone have insight into steps I might take to do this?

Kbond

Re: Homebridge/Homekit

by Kbond » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:03 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no way to speed up the process time that Sighthound Video takes to run commands. The reason behind that is Sighthound Video takes a little time to determine that the triggered event was an actual real event and what type of detection it was. That processing can take a few seconds which is expected.

If you have any other questions or concerns about this, feel free to email support at support@sighthound.com, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

Return to Hacker's Corner