Close

Homebridge / HomeKit Setup

Learn how to turn an Android phone into an IP camera security system with Sighthound, download automation scripts & more.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
YoKev7

Homebridge / HomeKit Setup

by YoKev7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm

I've successfully set up Homebridge to run both of the IP cameras that Sighthound is also running. The main reason I wanted to do this was the ability to get a (native) rich notification for motion events through iOS which includes an image snapshot.

To get the snapshot working, I had to emulate a motion sensor trigger in the same "room" as the cameras are assigned in HomeKit.

To do THAT, I am having Sighthound run a command when a rule is triggered for either of the cameras, which runs a shell script and ultimately triggers the homebridge motion sensors for a few seconds, sending me the notification. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to elaborate on the process I'm using.

The only flaw in all of this is that the snapshot Homekit takes from the camera to feed me in a notification is delayed by several seconds from the time the rule was triggered. So, while the email Sighthound sends me showing an image of the triggered rule is perfect, the HomeKit snapshot has been consistently missing what I'd like to see in the image.

Has anyone else experienced this dilemma, or have ideas of "speeding up" this process? At this point I'm not positive where the greatest lag is but will do some testing to find out.

Kbond

Re: Homebridge / HomeKit Setup

by Kbond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Hello,

The lag that you are seeing is most likely due to Sighthound Video. There will be a few second delay from when the object is detected to any alerts or notifications. The reason behind that is because Sighthound Video runs some analytics on the data to confirm what the detected object is. Unfortunately, there is no way to speed this up since that functionality is necessary. We do apologize for any inconvenience there. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

Return to Hacker's Corner