Close

Cameras not connecting

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
stlblufan

Cameras not connecting

by stlblufan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am

Hi,

I have 22 IP cameras on a dedicated network and am trying to use Sighthound to monitor them. Right now, I have 18 cameras connected to Sighthound (several others need to be re-wired). Unfortunately, a lot of the cameras cycle in and out--video shows, then it goes to a blue screen "could not connect" for a few seconds or minutes and then the video comes back. This happens in a random order, sometimes four cameras, sometimes one, sometimes eight....Is there a specific camera-side configuration that I need to do to make this work better? Thank you.

no avatar
electron

Re: Cameras not connecting

by electron » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Same issue here. I have 8 Hikvision cameras and can report the same behavior.
Sometimes, for no reason, one or two cameras will cut out and later come back. No problems whatsoever with Synology Surveillance Station. They just get that hiccup with SH!

no avatar
kgonzalez

Re: Cameras not connecting

by kgonzalez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 am

If you are experiencing camera connectivity issues, there are a few things to check.

1. Is there a specific camera that keeps dropping the connection or is it random?

2. First, make sure that you have the latest firmware in your camera; if not download and install the latest version, and try again.

3. If you still see problems, if possible, try wiring your camera into your network temporarily using an Ethernet network cable, and see if the problem disappears. If the problem still exists your camera hardware likely has a problem in its network interface. If wiring the camera does solve the problem, then this points to a weak Wi-Fi signal.

4. What are the resolutions the cameras are set to record at? If you lower the resolution, does connectivity improve?

5. If you lower the number of cameras configured in your systems are you able to connect to all of them without any problems? For example @stlblufan if you reduce the number of cameras to 10 do they all connect? It is possible that Sighthound Video has difficulting managing system resources or that the bandwidth is being consumed by the cameras.

Return to Technical Support