Close

Motion Detection on Stream 2 input

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
jasoncheesemanuk

Motion Detection on Stream 2 input

by jasoncheesemanuk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 pm

I'm looking at building a faster machine to support up to 10 cameras. I've seen other CCTV software use the Intel Quick Sync which allows very fast decoding on it's 6th Gen and above chips. I believe that Sighthound cannot use this due to it's software but I had another thought.

Why decode a 4MP camera stream for movement when decoding a 1080P stream would be good enough. My cameras support Stream 1 and Stream 2, so why not have a configuration that you can setup the motion detection on stream 2 (low res) and have stream 1 (high res) being recorded. That way the processor overhead must be radically reduced.

no avatar
jasoncheesemanuk

Re: Motion Detection on Stream 2 input

by jasoncheesemanuk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

It would be nice to get a reply on this. Both Blue Iris and Security Spy use Intel Quicksync. I'm trying to spec a machine up to replace my old Mac Mini which I've had to run Windows on so that I can support any other codec outside of AAC.

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello @jasoncheesemanuk,

You are correct; Sighthound Video does not use Intel Quick Sync. As for your feature request, I will have to consult with our engineering team to see if this possible within Sighthound. It may be some time before I get a result as currently, they are working vigorously on an update.

In the meantime, if you would like to see some concrete examples of efficient deployments that have around ten cameras you can view them at this link https://www.sighthound.com/support/system-requirements. I hope this gives you a better idea of what sort of system requirements you'll need for your machine setup.

Regards,

Kenneth

no avatar
jasoncheesemanuk

by jasoncheesemanuk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:43 am

This system requirement is a bit outdated. People are using 4MP or better cameras now, so if you're not using Intel Quick Sync then you are heavily loading the CPU with unnecessary decoding. That's why using a second stream would be "good enough" for motion detection, but actually record from Stream 1.

Return to Feature Requests