Close

Hardy external webcam

Inquire about an unsupported model or post your own success.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
peter_964rs

Hardy external webcam

by peter_964rs » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi all

I have Sight Hound basic and used it successfully with two Reolink cameras. However, one camera at the back of the house failed and I received a replacement under warranty. That one has now failed and I've sent it back and asked for a refund. It is fairly sheltered, but in a more exposed position than the first, which is under a porch and trained at our front door. Both are certified as 'IP66 waterproof' but I don't believe that to be true at all!

So, to replace it I'm looking for any recommendations for a PoE-capable and *definitely* weatherproof external Ip cam that has good low-light performance and works well with Sight Hound. Looking at the cameras supported, I'm afraid I'm confused as to what might be a good buy and what could end up being as unreliable as the old Reolink.

thanks in advance

Kbond

Re: Hardy external webcam

by Kbond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello,

As for camera recommendations - we normally don't give out recommendations since Sighthound Video does work with most IP cameras. When I have access to specific models it's usually just for testing and getting to a "does it work" point, rather than getting to review or live with the camera itself.

Here are some reasonably priced cameras brands that are good hikvision, dahua, ubiquiti, axis.

The only comments I can really make confidently -

* You get what you pay for. The lower end tends to be mostly rebranded or slightly tweaked off the shelf components, trying to compete on cost and skimping everywhere else. For instance, sitting in front of me I have 3 cameras that all look identical other than the logo, all cost under $100, and are all quite unpleasant to use.

* Read reviews from people who own the camera, whether on Amazon or another site. They've lived with it, if they love it or hate it they'll let you know. Be wary of the hate posts for being user error, but if there is a lot it's a bad sign.

* Check out the manufacturer's website. If they don't have one, or it has no real content, avoid. They should have easy access to firmware updates, manuals, and tech support. If they don't, or if their tech support forum is filled with issue after issue, avoid. Axis, for example, makes it very easy to obtain information and support.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

no avatar
piter85

Re: Hardy external webcam

by piter85 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:43 pm

The selection of a contact or non contact all kinds of sensor depends on your application. Although non contact technology seems advantages it is not possible to use non contact Nagano keiki Pressure sensor for each and every application. Some non contact abs speed sensor like laser and ultrasonic sensors may be dangerous. The advantage of non contact sensors are that there is no mechanical contact so there is no friction and the mazda 6 suction control valve does not wear out. Hence operating cycles are more. Non contact suction control valve are more costly compared to contact Speed Sensor. Operating temperature and frequency response of a contact Pressure Sensor is high. Some non contact sensors like ultrasonic sensors may have a blind range.

Return to Unsupported Cameras