Close

AMD Ryzen and Intel Quicksync

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Cristiano

AMD Ryzen and Intel Quicksync

by Cristiano » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Dear Sirs,

I am trying Sighthound Video and we would like to buy the pro version for our company premise.

There will be 10 cameras 2.0 megapixel 1920x1080

We need to build a PC for this and I have 2 questions:

I read in BlueIris forum that people does not suggest using AMD Ryzen because they do not have Intel Quicksync optimization. Does Sighthound use Intel Quicksync optimization? I did not find any referral to it but it is best to ask, we find Ryzen interesting because of many processors at a good price and low electrical consumption.

2. We are lurking on ebay to find some old Xeon or i7 refurbished pc. we Found an old Xeon E3 1246 with a cpu benchmark rate of 9890 and 16gb ram, would it hold 10 fullhd cameras? (we limit them to 10fps)

Thank you in advance for your help

Cristian

no avatar
cwizard

Re: AMD Ryzen and Intel Quicksync

by cwizard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

That xeon should do the trick

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Hello,

Sighthound Video does not use Intel Quicksync. The following link gives some concrete user machine examples and their performance levels.

https://www.sighthound.com/support/system-requirements

no avatar
flynreelow

by flynreelow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Cristiano wrote:Dear Sirs,

I am trying Sighthound Video and we would like to buy the pro version for our company premise.

There will be 10 cameras 2.0 megapixel 1920x1080

We need to build a PC for this and I have 2 questions:

I read in BlueIris forum that people does not suggest using AMD Ryzen because they do not have Intel Quicksync optimization. Does Sighthound use Intel Quicksync optimization? I did not find any referral to it but it is best to ask, we find Ryzen interesting because of many processors at a good price and low electrical consumption.

2. We are lurking on ebay to find some old Xeon or i7 refurbished pc. we Found an old Xeon E3 1246 with a cpu benchmark rate of 9890 and 16gb ram, would it hold 10 fullhd cameras? (we limit them to 10fps)

Thank you in advance for your help

Cristian

Just send you a PM. Im a mac guy, but now looking for used Dell PCs that will work with sighthound. I like the idea of your Intel Xeon-1246 v3 3.5.

Do you think this would run 4 1080p and maybe 2 4k cameras?

This would be a dedicated machine, nothing else on it. Should ram be maxed out as well?

Kbond

by Kbond » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello @flynreelow,

Looking at the spec for that computer, it shouldn't have any issues running your cameras. You can find some concrete hardware examples that we have tested at the bottom of the link below:

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

no avatar
flynreelow

by flynreelow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Kbond wrote:Hello @flynreelow,

Looking at the spec for that computer, it shouldn't have any issues running your cameras. You can find some concrete hardware examples that we have tested at the bottom of the link below:

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

Thank you Kevin. You also my Mac Mini Question.

How much of a CPU load savings would be to record at a lower frame rate. Say 15, vs 30?

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello @flynreelow,

It's difficult to estimate the exact CPU load savings because each system is different and runs other applications that could potentially hog resources. This will ultimately depend on hardware if the system is dedicated to Sighthound Video, and camera resolution. As a quick test, I ran Sighthound Video on my Macbook air and changed the frame rate of my Axis camera running at 1280 x 800. From 15 to 30 frames I saw an avg of an 8% increase. Again, this will depend on the CPU's abilities and the resolution used. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Kenneth

no avatar
piter85

by piter85 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:46 pm

The selection of a contact or non contact all kinds of sensor depends on your application. Although non contact technology seems advantages it is not possible to use non contact Nagano keiki Pressure sensor for each and every application. Some non contact abs speed sensor like laser and ultrasonic sensors may be dangerous. The advantage of non contact sensors are that there is no mechanical contact so there is no friction and the mazda 6 suction control valve does not wear out. Hence operating cycles are more. Non contact suction control valve are more costly compared to contact Speed Sensor. Operating temperature and frequency response of a contact Pressure Sensor is high. Some non contact sensors like ultrasonic sensors may have a blind range.

no avatar
Bob126

by Bob126 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:43 am

It's difficult to estimate the exact CPU load savings because each system is different and runs other applications that could potentially hog resources.

Return to General Discussion