Close

Pass through recording

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
mldoy11

Pass through recording

by mldoy11 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Any chance to get a feature that would bypass the algorithm that watches the video and determines motion, etc, etc, but still have the option to record to video? Meaning, record the video constantly and do not use CPU power for anything else other than recording. I.e. a constant record option to minimize CPU usage.

Let me give the "use case" for what i'm hoping to achieve. I have 9 4MP cameras that record non-stop using the built in FTP client the cameras have to an FTP server. This same server doubles as the computer that is running sighthound. I have rules setup that turn on sighthound when no one is home and it notifies of movements based on rules.

So far so good but when you look at the network utilization, each camera takes uses 2 streams, 1 for the FTP connection and 1 for the sighthound connection. I can fix that by simply having sighthound record non-stop and then toggle the notifications. The drawback to that is that it will take my i7 processor into the 70% range non-stop, which seems like a waste of power for a simply ftp record, which only uses 5% of CPU power.

So, if it was possible to have a rule that does not monitor the stream (and therefore does not need a lot of CPU cycles) and simply records non-stop, that would be quite useful.

Kbond

Re: Pass through recording

by Kbond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, this is not possible with Sighthound Video. Sighthound Video's main purpose is for video stream analysis. We are sorry for any inconvenience there. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,
-Kevin

Return to Feature Requests