Close

Error:"Cannot run from a container or external Storage"

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
Qued

Error:"Cannot run from a container or external Storage"

by Qued » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:50 am

This software ran fine on my MacBook (2017), but when I try to run in on my old MacBook Air it gives the message, "Sighthound video cannot run from a container or external Storage", and will not start.

The MacBook Air is running mac OS 10.13.5, the MacBook 2017 is running 10.13.4
In both cases the program is in the applications folder, at the top with all the other apps.

What is going on? How do I get past this?

Thanks for any advice.

no avatar
samimob

Re: Error:"Cannot run from a container or external Storage"

by samimob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Can you check if your disk is being treated as external by the OS.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Open Disk Utility and see the left column to check if your drive is being reported as Internal or External.

Also, make sure that you have dragged Sighthound into your Application folder and you run it from that directory. It's possible that you still have the program you downloaded on a "Mount" and it's linking there.

Hope this helps.

no avatar
Qued

by Qued » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:29 am

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately it is neither of those situations. The application "Sighthound Video" is being run from the top level of the Application folder. It is there with all the other applications.
Also it is listed as as "internal" disk. There are no external disks.

Any other suggests?

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:42 am

Hey Qued,

If you are getting the following error, it is usually because the .dmg file is being opened rather than the .app file. I would recommend downloading Sighthound Video again and dragging the "Sighthound Video.app" file from the installation folder to the application folder shortcut next to it; this will "install" the application to your system. Then eject the .dmg file and run the Sighthound Video app from your Applications folder.

If that fails I would try rebooting the system and finally if all else fails I would uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

I hope that fixes the issue.

no avatar
Qued

by Qued » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks for the advice. It took a while for me to go further because my main computer was dead for a few day, but now all is back and I tried again. This time it worked and the reason is a strange one.
I followed you advice and downloaded again.
Normally, I would just drag the app directly to the apps folder in the finder, but this time, following your instructions word for word, I dragged it to “the application folder shortcut next to it”. Of course that put it into the apps folder in the finder, but for some reason, the difference was significant. This time I did not get the error message, and the app opened normally when I clicked on it in the app folder in the finder. (I left the .dmg where it was, I did not throw it out.)

This is all very odd for me, since I have dragged apps directly to the finder folder many times over many years. Perhaps it is a unique situation with my old Apple MacBook Air, or perhaps it is something new to the latest OS update that I have, 10.13.5

Sighthound’s instructions are excellent, but they don’t mention this, that you must drag it to the shortcuts folder and not directly to the apps folder in the finder. Perhaps someone there would like to test it with other systems.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

no avatar
piter85

by piter85 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 pm

The selection of a contact or non contact all kinds of sensor depends on your application. Although non contact technology seems advantages it is not possible to use non contact Nagano keiki Pressure sensor for each and every application. Some non contact abs speed sensor like laser and ultrasonic sensors may be dangerous. The advantage of non contact sensors are that there is no mechanical contact so there is no friction and the mazda 6 suction control valve does not wear out. Hence operating cycles are more. Non contact suction control valve are more costly compared to contact Speed Sensor. Operating temperature and frequency response of a contact Pressure Sensor is high. Some non contact sensors like ultrasonic sensors may have a blind range.

Return to Technical Support