Close

Thumbs Snapshot quality & Export Snapshot

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
BernieCyr

Thumbs Snapshot quality & Export Snapshot

by BernieCyr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Very happy user, great software. Thankyou.

Feature #1
Since 5.1 you have a "THUMBS" directory feature this is great.
The thumbs resolution is 424x240
My camera resolution is 1920x1080

I understand it would be a performance hit, but I would love to be able to customize the thumb size all the way up to my full resolution.

I find it nice on a desktop platform to view an entire days activity by just viewing the thumbs and if I could see this all in high resolution all the better.

Feature#2
Export single frame snapshot (Added option to Export Clip)
Sometime I am only exporting the video so that i could capture a single frame snapshot.

Thankyou for a great product and your updates this last year.

no avatar
JesseS

Re: Thumbs Snapshot quality & Export Snapshot

by JesseS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Ding Ding Ding!! I was just going to post this same suggestion, at least adding a 'Snapshot' option to the controls dropdown. Even better would to be able to left click and drag a box around a specific section of the image to save as a snapshot. As it is now I have to go to the Reolink client software to do this, another case of the camera maker implementing something SV should have. I too find myself having to save the entire clip just to use another program to get a snapshot. I wondered why this option wasn't in SV already, as for security it is often needed to provide a 'photo' and not the entire video.

Note* I just added a program called 'Sharpshooter' that is a runtime app that provides just this option, resides in the background and allows screen shots of specific areas.

fido.dogstoevsky

by fido.dogstoevsky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm

To take this a bit further, when a trigger causes a clip to be saved, I'd really like a snapshot of the frame of the object that caused the trigger (this is marked as the blue line in the timeline in SV) to also be automatically extracted and exported. Then I'd like that snapshot image (or the filesystem path to it) to be able to be included in the triggered email or external command.
On the internet nobody knows what's an Echidna

no avatar
BernieCyr

by BernieCyr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Just bumping my `suggestion` further expressed by Fido and Jesse

Trigger: Save still in full resolution (Ie: People seen)
Menu: Save Still full resolution

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 am

Hello,

Thank you for the feature request. At this time it seems that we will be unable to implement these features into Sighthound Video. For the initial request, the reason we choose not to save the thumbs at the native resolution is that this will require more space to be consumed by Sighthound Video. Our priority is capturing the clips and reducing the amount of space needed for users to run Sighthound Video effectively. Saving the clips at the native resolution will consume the space for more videos to be captured. It may not seem like a big concern however some users may have limited storage space on their systems. This will also depend on the amount of traffic that users receive. The more traffic, the more space needed for clips and thumbs.

As for the second request, a potential workaround for snapshots would be to take a screenshot. On Mac, you can use the "cmd + shift + 4" shortcut, and this will give you the ability to click and drag to capture the screenshot. As for Windows, I believe the shortcut is the "Windows + Shift + S", and you should be able to capture the region that you want.

I hope you find the following information helpful.

Regards,

Kenneth

no avatar
BernieCyr

by BernieCyr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks Kenneth, to take this one step further for discussion. and see if you could add further suggested workarounds.

Currently I have a workaround using a rule to "take action" sending an email with attachment in full resolution. Then I am using windows and outlook along with a vbs script to export all attachments from my sighthound email to a folder. Although manual this works but the email attachment contains the bounding box around the detected object (I would prefer no colored box)

My feature request still stands:
a) Creation of a rule to save image to folder in full resolution on trigger of event.
b) Export photo option similar to right click and export of video current feature.

no avatar
BernieCyr

by BernieCyr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks @kgonzalez and everyone else reading I have posted how to using a script
(as a manual workaround) to save the images from email using windows outlook 2010
under the hackers corner forum: topic12106
(Post/reply number 9)

My feature request still stands (and better worded than in my original request):
a) Creation of a rule to save an image to folder in full resolution on trigger of event.
b) An export photo option similar to right click and export of video current feature.

no avatar
BernieCyr

Re: Save still capture to folder & Export Snapshot

by BernieCyr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 am

Bringing up a reminder for a feature request.

a) Creation of a rule to save an image to folder in full resolution on trigger of event.

b) An export photo option similar to right click and export of video current feature.

Return to Feature Requests