Close

running on single board computer

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
WeirdlyChosen

running on single board computer

by WeirdlyChosen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 am

Hello, my old PC is broken on motherboard and it means I have to upgrade my system. However, I'm tight on budget and prefer low power computing.

It was an intel atom, 2gb RAM with windows 7 64bit, and SV 4 run without problems at all. But I used to run openHAB on that PC and it became very slow because SV used 1gb RAM and my openHAB suite use 800-900MB RAM, so I moved openHAB to a raspberry pi and everything is back to normal.

While I'm aware that SV recommends intel NUC for standard computer, is it possible to run on single board computer for 2 cameras with 720p resolution? It is very less likely for me to upgrade to more cameras, or better resolution cameras in a distant future.

I'm currently interested on intel computestick or lattepanda board that able to run a full windows 10 OS with very low power consumption.

sv_alex

Re: running on single board computer

by sv_alex » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am

Unfortunately, computational requirements of SV are much higher than a single board computer will offer. While we encourage all and any experiments, this is not something we would recommend for operational deployment.

no avatar
cwizard

Re: running on single board computer

by cwizard » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 am

With only two cameras max, you might get away with running this on the Core m3 model of the Computestick but at this point you are spending $400 bucks. Is it worth saving a little cheddar, when you can get a Core i3 NUC at least for those two? I've got a guy running 3 cameras off a potato at his burger shack and it's "just okay" but not really as speedy as I would like.

Return to General Discussion