Close

IFTTT to make sighthound behave differently when home/away

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
saintjohnny

IFTTT to make sighthound behave differently when home/away

by saintjohnny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 am

Maybe there is already a way to do this but I was hoping there was a direct way to take IFTTT and instead of using sighthound as the trigger, use something else as a trigger to activate/deactivate rules in sighthound:

When I am not home (maybe triggered by my phone not being on the wifi) I like to set a rule on sighthound to save to dropbox when people are detected inside the house, and also email me etc, but when I'm home I have to deactivate this rule because I don't want detection alerts or for it to save to dropbox which takes constant bandwidth. Is there a way to do this using IFTTT or some other function that I'm not seeing, or is something like this in the works? I don't have a set schedule where I can just do "away" from 9:00AM to 5:00PM or something like that.

Kbond

Re: IFTTT to make sighthound behave differently when home/aw

by Kbond » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, due to security reasons you can only use Sighthound as the trigger. We actually thought about implementing something like this when we set the channel up and, after much discussion, we just didn't think it would work.

As of right now, your best bet is to either turn all cameras off when entering your home or set the rules to only be active during certain hours.

We apologize for any inconveniences here. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, thank you!

Regards,

Kevin

no avatar
saintjohnny

by saintjohnny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks for the response Kevin. If anyone else read this or unless you have a more direct workaround: I think I'll use dropbox and an autohotkey script doing something similar to this where I'll have my mouse clicks enable/disable the rules: http://styxnyx.com/general/launch-your- ... r-network/

no avatar
cryptyk

by cryptyk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm not sure what the security risk is. The IFTTT integration requires an Oauth2 token that's only available after providing IFTTT your Sighthound credentials. If you're worried about the tokens being breached from IFTTT, I think you should let users make that choice. IFTTT already has tokens for my hue lights, my google account, my smartthings hub, my facebook account, and more.

no avatar
jmwhooper

by jmwhooper » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:30 am

I use a combination of IFTTT and apilio with webhooks to achieve some more complex rules. I have a geolocation recipe for myself when I leave home it sets a variable in apilio that I'm out, same with my wife. If we are both out and a camera detects motion it sends via IFTTT, then via apilio and if apilio logic block shows we're both out then it triggers an sms to my phone for the alert. If either one if us is at hoke the apilio logic block gives a negative response and the sms won't be triggered. Works well for multi person geo location but the cameras are always on and recording but.only sending an sms when nobody is home.

Return to Feature Requests