Close

Stream to MP4

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
WeirdlyChosen

Stream to MP4

by WeirdlyChosen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 am

Since Sighthound able to transcode RTSP stream from camera to mp4 stream for web app, can I get the mp4 stream for my home automation setup?

ryan

Re: Stream to MP4

by ryan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Assuming that your software can deal with the self-signed certificate and HLS stream it may be possible. If you look in the Sighthound Video data directory the "/remote/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.m3u8local" files are the HLS streams for your cameras. This is the path that you would append to "https://server:port". Thanks for letting us know about your interest in such a feature, we may look into officially supporting stream access in the future.

Do note that if you have multiple sources requesting different bitrate/size streams from a camera your CPU use will increase substantially.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
WeirdlyChosen

by WeirdlyChosen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 am

I still use sighthound 4 since I use 32bit windows OS and unable to locate the m3u8local file. I look in directory where video data stored in
Code: Select all
<drive>:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Sighthound Video\videos\remote
and find nothing inside that folder

ryan

by ryan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 am

Sighthound Video 4 and earlier only creates streams on demand for the remote web or mobile apps. To see streams available at all times you'd need SV 5.0 or higher and to have the "Enable live stream fast start" option on. SV 4 uses similar HLS streams so you could attempt the connection when available to see if the general setup is at all possible for you but as they are dynamic it wouldn't be a stable solution.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles

no avatar
WeirdlyChosen

by WeirdlyChosen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 am

I tried to move lisence to 64bit OS, and use SH5. Enable stream fast start is ticked, and no m3u8local file. Only found some jpg files after I open via web browser for a while.

Is there something wrong or I have looked to the wrong place?

ryan

by ryan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Sorry for the mixup. Connect to your camera from remote access, either web or mobile, and view the live stream. This will trigger the creation of that ".m3u8local" file. You can then note the filename before the extension and construct the path "/live/encodedcameraname.m3u8" which is what may work in your other software to view the stream.

no avatar
WeirdlyChosen

by WeirdlyChosen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:33 pm

After a broken PC, I finally have another PC for NVR.
typing localhost:8848/live/filename.m3u8local
result in 404 not found

I believe the file is generated in C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Sighthound Video/remote/filename.m3u8local

Is there something I did wrong?

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello WeirdlyChosen,

Can you try the following to see if these steps work for you?

1. Open a specific camera in the remote access web interface or the mobile application. A "encodedcameraname".m3u8local file should be generated.

2. When you get this file, you should be able to view the cameras stream by typing the following URL: "https://localhost:<port>/live/encodedcameraname.m3u8"

This should work. I was able to open the camera stream successfully.

no avatar
jamesmartin

by jamesmartin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks a lot for his information

Return to General Discussion