Close

Using a cheap mini-PC as a stand-alone machine?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
SimonZ

Using a cheap mini-PC as a stand-alone machine?

by SimonZ » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:48 am

Have Sightsound (or anyone else) had any experience running on one of these cheap mini PC's (running Win10 on an Intel Atom, Celeron, Cherry Trail etc), around 100 bucks, as a dedicated recorder? You can add a decent size SD card or attach a SSD via USB for bigger storage, and they're fan-less, so totally quiet. I thought it might be a great way to build a dedicated stand-alone system, say 4-8 cameras max, set it going and let it do its thing. I love SV when I have tried it but haven't stumped up for the full licence as I have not been able to get past the idea of running it on my PC because I don't want it slowing my PC down while I work, and I don't have a spare I could use that's fast/reliable enough. I've been buying extra camera licences for Surveillance Station on my QNAP, but it's such a slow and cumbersome solution - I hate it!

I'd be prepared to stump up for a mini-PC and leave it running as a dedicated machine sitting on the corner of my desk as it wouldn't interfere with our normal work.

This is the kind of thing I mean: https://www.amazon.it/Beelink-Z83-II-Wi ... KAG688KG6N

Any thoughts?

(I did post this question on another thread, but got no response whatsoever...sorry for posting again, but maybe this will encourage useful discussion.)

no avatar
SimonZ

Re: Using a cheap mini-PC as a stand-alone machine?

by SimonZ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Wow, the response and interaction on this forum is amazing. Not especially encouraging for anyone looking to invest in the product, is it? Fair enough...I'll try somewhere else.

ryan

by ryan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 pm

It doesn't seem that anyone who has seen your post has experience with these. In general Sighthound can't recommend hardware we haven't used as a best guess isn't always going to work out.

I can say that 2 gigs of ram would not be sufficient for 4+ cameras. That processor is also terribly slow. If you were streaming h264 cameras my best guess is you could get 2ish hd streams? It is hard to compare processors but cpubenchmark.net generally gives a good approximation. You can compare that processor's score to those of some of the example systems on at the bottom of the requirements page.
Learn more about Sighthound Video in our support pages - Reference Guide | All Articles
Are you a developer? Check out our cloud APIs - Demo | Docs

no avatar
Kyani

by Kyani » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:22 am

Hi, guys. Yesterday I heard about the website that breaks the connection between an address sending coins and the address receiving them. On the same day, I searched it on the internet and found the https://bestmixer.io. It is a really an awesome website if you wish to be invisible and yet want to make a transaction in a cryptographic world.

no avatar
stumper66

by stumper66 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:59 am

My server is a Shuttle XPC Slim XH170V. CPU is Intel i5-6500.
I built it as a NAS server and application server. I later added SightHound and it is processing 5 cameras and the CPU averages less then 40%.

no avatar
cwizard

by cwizard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 am

To answer the original question, no that cheap pile of junk won't cut it.

no avatar
mistatwista3

by mistatwista3 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm

This is not very good idea, it is too weak.

no avatar
flynreelow

by flynreelow » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:41 pm

go be poor somewhere else...

this software needs some pretty powerful hardware specs

Return to General Discussion