Close

Internal/External IP Switching - iPhone App

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
howard.millward

Internal/External IP Switching - iPhone App

by howard.millward » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 am

Hi
I've followed the instructions and successfully setup an external IP address to access Sighthound running locally on my desktop. I've also setup the iPhone app with the external IP address and everything works fine when I'm not accessing through my local WiFi network.
I then discovered the Internal/External IP Switching feature on the app. So I signed in the app with my internal IP address and got the following results:-
When I'm connected externally (with 3G) everything works great
I switch on WiFi (simulating me arriving home and automatically logging onto my home network) and I get the message "switching IP...." and the app automatically switches to my internal IP address and everything works great
I switch WiFi off again (simulating me leaving home) and I lose connectivity and the app does not automatically switch the IP to the external one

Update : Got this working now
Had to login when connected to WiFi with the internal IP address, switch off WiFi then login with the external IP address. Repeated a couple of times and now it appears the app has remembered these settings.

Note though a limitation is that when I connect to WiFi at my parents house the app automatically connects using my internal IP which is incorrect. Tech Team need to add this to their Backlog
Last edited by howard.millward on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
sarahmark

Re: Internal/External IP Switching - iPhone App

by sarahmark » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:42 am

Howard - sorry can't help but how on earth did you get the iPhone app to work - I just get an error message 1005 and very quickly too. Its doesn't even attempt to try to connect. No idea how to get it to work? Its all set up on the mac ok. Thanks

no avatar
howard.millward

Re: Internal/External IP Switching - iPhone App

by howard.millward » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

Hi
I had to setup a static IP address then open port 8848 on my router. I then used the link in the guide to find my external IP address - this IP address combined with the port number allows you to access your cameras on a browser outside your network and on the iphone app too (you have to enter it when you first log into the app)
I did all that and still couldn't get external access. It turns out that I needed to add the Sighthound web .exe to Windows firewall to allow it through
I'm not familiar with the Mac so don't know if the setup is the same!
Good luck!

Return to Technical Support