Close

How to filter out temporary video from search

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
crc2004

How to filter out temporary video from search

by crc2004 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm setting up my system and I'm finding that all the "temporary video (not saved by a rule)" really clutters the search return results. Is there any way to filter out those clips? As a work-around I've configured temporary file retention to 1 hour so if I wait an hour it works ok but my work-around would not work in a production environment.

Semper Vaporo

Re: How to filter out temporary video from search

by Semper Vaporo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:55 am

You can select individual Rules for each camera, but that limits the list to just that one camera. You can also select the default rules of "People" and "Other objects" to limit to just those that meet those selections, but of course, those will include temporary videos, too, but the list will be shorter.

I have often wanted a feature added to be able to select multiple rules at once. Until such a feature is added, you will have to just select one rule at a time and thus view each camera's clips one at a time. I have 3 cameras that have slightly overlapping views of a large area and it would be nice to select all 3 (excluding the other 4 cameras) to view an event that spans across all three views.

I have 10 rules spread across the 7 cameras and due to the way the rules are listed (with the camera name on the end of the rule name and it being shoved off the end of the space to list rules) it is difficult to know which rule is for which camera, so I often just click one rule at a time and view just the results of each one at a time working through the whole list. Tedious, but it works.
Semper Vaporo,

CV SECURE

by CV SECURE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 pm

i agree it just clutters, it needs its own category(Temp Video's),
as you can see it has its own category animals/people/vehicle
but now in each category it has temporary video not saved by rule,
now it clutters and i have to had pick and go skip over all the temp video's
kind makes it messy, kind of annoying :x
category >people got 5 clips that are accurate by the rule
and 90 >temporary video not saved by rule :roll:
screws up continuous playback all so,
because it plays back each video in order Not by category
category is 1 item
2 different item is not a category

Semper Vaporo

by Semper Vaporo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:49 am

There is one more complication. Videos in the list that show the text "Temporary video (not saved by a rule)" may also contain video that IS saved by rule. If the video clip has any portion that is not part of the video saved because of a rule, that text is displayed. I find this misleading when I am just perusing a day's worth of video. Because something else occurred near the trigger time that caused that text to be displayed, until I select one rule at a time, I may miss seeing that there were rules triggered. I fear that the structure of the program is such that correcting this "flaw" is too great of a problem.

I would still like to select more that one camera at a time and more than one rule at a time (make them checkboxes instead of single select lists). I have cameras that view different segments of the street in front of my house. I would like to view all the videos for all of those cameras and not clutter the list with views of my backyard or garage or what ever else. If something happens in the street that triggers a rule on one camera it is sometimes informative to view the other cameras around that time period to see what happened in the other views before or after the actual trigger point even if they did not have an event that triggered a rule.

I either have to have all 9 of my cameras cluttering the list or just one at a time, causing me to have to switch cameras to see what occurred in the purview of the other cameras before/after the trigger event. Sometimes this loses the time point from the 1st camera because nothing was saved (by rule or otherwise) for the 2nd camera selected. It is then a hassle to find the time on that camera's temporary video or reselect the 1st camera and find the clip I am concerned with and then select yet another camera. Not a clean user experience!
Semper Vaporo,

CV SECURE

by CV SECURE » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 am

found another one cluttering it up its called unknown

Return to General Discussion