Close

Internal Timed events?

Share tips and tricks related to Sighthound Video or your full security setup.

Moderator: Staff

Semper Vaporo

Internal Timed events?

by Semper Vaporo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Does SightHound have some event that occurs on an approximate 5-minute 55-second (355-seconds) interval?
Semper Vaporo,

Semper Vaporo

Re: Internal Timed events?

by Semper Vaporo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Never mind it being something in SightHound.

I have been having an ongoing problem with my IP cam dropping the connection periodically. It occurs at random times and occurs more and more often as the age of the system progresses. If I turn off the computer, camera and router, and restart them all, the problem goes away for a time, but soon returns and gets worse over time.

I have begun to monitor the Task Manager display of network activity, using the graph it presents of percentage of network utilization. Since the only things on my system network are the computer, router and the one IP cam (I do have 5 USB web cams in use) I know the graph is strictly the IP cam data transmissions. (There is no Internet connection.)

The percent utilization varies based on the brightness and contrast of the scene. During the daytime the percentage averages around 4%. Night time with just a spot light illuminating the foreground it goes up to closer to 5%. During the transition from day to night, the graph takes on a saw tooth shape of a 5 to 10 minute period, with the percentage rising slowly until the camera decides to adjust the brightness level and then it drops back to 4% before slowly rising again. The reverse happens going from night to day. Similar changes can occur on partly cloudy days with rapidly changing brightness as the wind blows the clouds around.

Otherwise the line has many short rapid excursions of a few tenths of a percent, regardless of the brightness of the scene. Sometimes I can sort of explain the rapid excursions as caused by birds at a bird feeder in the middle of the scene, but other times there will be this "grass" on the line of the chart with no motion (discernible to me) anywhere in the scene.

With a freshly restarted system, I have noted that there is a 1 second drop-out of the data every 5 minutes and 55 seconds (as close as I have been able to measure it). When these drop-outs occur the image will freeze for that one second. I detect this because the bird feeder is hung from the top and has a weighted pipe out the bottom such that when the wind blows, it swings with about a 1 second period, and during the data drop-out it will stop swinging and 1 second later suddenly jump to another position in its arc. And sometimes birds flying through the scene will freeze in flight with a similar 'jump' in position when data transmission is restored.

After the system as aged a few hours, one of those drop-outs will extend to 4 to 8 seconds and SightHound will change to a blue view window and the words "Connecting" for a second or two, then the text will change to "Could not connect" for a second or two, then the view window will go black for a second or two, then the picture will return. That 4 to 8 seconds of no-data has caused the system to totally miss recording ME walking through the scene a couple of times (that I know of). It also missed a predator bird making off with one of the neighborhood squirrels (my neighbor saw it happen and asked if it was caught on video, but the video for that instant was missing. (The video prior shows the squirrel on the deck railing in the foreground and then a couple of seconds of video is missing and the next video shows nothing on the railing.)

As the age of the system increases, the longer drop-outs start occurring at times other than associated with the 355 second drop-outs and after a month or so, it becomes very intolerable and I have to restart all the equipment again.

My post (above) was a question to know if SightHound was doing something on that 355 second period that was causing it to lose the data stream. BUT, I have since terminated SightHound altogether (all cameras off and none of the "Agents" running) and monitored the IP cam with Internet Explorer watching the camera's built-in webpage and the drop-outs continue to occur on that 355 second period.

So it has NOTHING to do with SightHound at all.

Note, that I am not running any anti-malware programs on this system (it is not on the internet and I only load programs via USB memory sticks that have been vetted on another system).

If anyone has some bit of information that might tell me where to go next, I'd appreciate it.
Semper Vaporo,

no avatar
Beenests

Re: Internal Timed events?

by Beenests » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Most of the people want to enjoy the events which can help them to provide the Best Traveling Locations for providing the best event.Some of the traveling options can give one of the good options of locations where people love to travel and also take part in traveling events easily.

Return to General Discussion