Close

Sinology NAS & Sighthound

Having trouble with Sighthound Video? Post here for help.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
topares22

Sinology NAS & Sighthound

by topares22 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 am

As Sighthound requires too many resources on my 6/8 cameras installation, that slow down the performance of my iMac (8GB RAM), I would like to try installing Sighthound directly to my Synology NAS (model DS415+).

Is it possible?

If yes, any special download file? If no, I would appreciate your suggestions to reduce the resources of my computer where Sighthound is installed and the possible filing into the NAS.

Many thanks for your attention,
José

Semper Vaporo

Re: Sinology NAS & Sighthound

by Semper Vaporo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I am running on a quad-core PC with 6 cameras and I am noticing that at times the CPUs are pushing 100% usage.

On thing you can do is set some cameras to only run at certain times of the day. This might free CPU power for other tasks during the times you are present in the area the cameras view and thus do not need to be alerted to motion.

For me the best way to reduce CPU usage was to reduce the resolution of the cameras. To a much lessor extent, reducing the Frames per Second helped, too (but SH needs at least 10 FPS to work properly).

I have had to do some serious cogitation on which cameras really need high resolution and which can get by with lower. For me, in my situation, I believe that the cameras with long range views can do with VGA (640x480) resolution. I can't really identify a person's face at a distance even at a higher resolution, so why waste the CPU load?

I have one camera that views an entrance and I have it at HD 720 (1280x720) resolution to make identification of a person's face easier.

And I have one camera aimed at a remote weather station LCD display (1-ft. away) and since it is only text on the display, I can get by with QVGA (320x240) resolution and still read the numbers in a video to see what the temperature and wind speeds were when something has occurred in the view of some other camera.

While it is nice to have the highest resolution possible on every camera, every camera view is unique as to what resolution is the "best" given CPU usage versus what is highly intelligible in a video of the scene.
Semper Vaporo,

Devin

by Devin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi topares22,

The Synology device does not have nearly enough computing power to decode and analyze camera streams or the other work required by Sighthound Video so I'm afraid we do not have a version of the software that can run on such a device.

As for reducing strain on resources, Semper Vaporo's made several good suggestions. The number of cameras running, the resolution they are streaming at, and frame rate make the largest impact on resource usage. I'd recommend taking a look at this article on system requirements which also includes some examples of different systems running multiple cameras: https://www.sighthound.com/support/system-requirements

Regards,

-Devin

no avatar
joelegg

by joelegg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:06 pm

what about on the latest synology devices like the 1019+ ?

no avatar
kgonzalez

by kgonzalez » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:58 am

Hi @joelegg,

After a brief look at the technical specs of the Sinology 1019+, it appears that this system might be able to run two cameras if it is dedicated. I'd recommend using/researching another product that has more resources available; this machine isn't that powerful. I'm sure there are more reliable machines for the same price.

Return to Technical Support