Close

Camera Offline Notification

Like to see something in a future release? Post your suggestions here.

Moderator: Staff

no avatar
nomad33fw

Re: Camera Offline Notification

by nomad33fw » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:17 am

+10! I don't have a camera problem per say, but recently either Sighthound is encountering and error or something and goes offline. I have to shut it down and re-start it to get it back online. The only way I know that it is occurring now is because I don't get my usual push message of motion in the driveway when I arrive home.

no avatar
nz_cctv

by nz_cctv » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 pm

there are workarounds for both once you identify which is the problem.

Probably sighthound as you didn't mention having to restart the camera?

There is software that can monitor a running process and restart the system when it fails to respond.
Or monitor the HTTP server.
Just need to know how unresponsive it is.

no avatar
cedarman

by cedarman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am

+1. If my camera goes offline, it might be days before I figure it out. I run Sighthound on a Mac, so I'm off to search for some software that will ping my cameras periodically and send me an email or text if any of them go offline.

Stephen Neish, CEO

by Stephen Neish, CEO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13 pm

We agree that we need to add this feature, so we will. We announce feature releases to our social media page, and anyone in the beta program will see it beforehand.

Thanks,

Stephen Neish

no avatar
angryfatcat

by angryfatcat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:26 pm

More important than just the camera offline, you need a notification that your storage is off line or unavailable. Still even more important, is the ability to reconnect to the storage when it becomes available again. I've had my SMB network storage go off line momentarily several times and sighthound will do nothing until I click "ok" in the notification box. Even though the SMB location is available again, sighthound still won't restart recording.

At least for the camera offline issue, you can detect this by looking at your remote access webpage. If your storage location becomes unavailable, there is not indication whatsoever that it is down. Just the absence of clips, which could simply be attributed to no rules being triggered.

no avatar
cedarman

by cedarman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:31 am

++1++. Please implement this long-standing feature request. I need to know if a camera stops working and it makes no sense to have to use another piece of software.

Previous

Return to Feature Requests